A surprise afternoon with Freya!

I had had a late morning but at about 11 o'clock, I was getting hungry.  I was just about to order a take away, how my life has changed since I learned how to do that, when I got a text from Freya asking how I was.  I told her that I was fine.  She asked me what I was doing, and I said that I was doing nothing.  Apparently she was about to do her laundry.  It turned out she was washing her stuff by hand.  As a throwaway comment I offered that she could come over here and use my machine and we could share lunch.  Much to.my surprise, she said "Yes!".  China still surprises me.  Such a mixture of traditional and modern.  Usually single women won't come to my apartment alone due to the fact that 'rumours' would spread.  So I was surprised that Freya agreed...Although she is an out-of-towner!  Anyhow, 45 minutes later, outside my door was Great with a bucket of washing that was about the same size as her!
We set up the washing machine, and got the first half of the huge bucket load in.  Then sat down on the sofa for a chat. 

 I offered to buy her lunch, and after a little persuasion she accepted.  Chicken burgers and chicken wraps, a box of fries and some cola.  She then explored my apartment like a kid in Santa grotto!  We then sat down and chatted again.
She us really keen in learning English and we took the opportunity to teach each other some basics of each other's languages, and she even helped me out with some Chinese characters!
The food soon arrived and we left the learning and got on with the eating!
We then watched some Mr Bean, and emptied and refilled the washing machine.  Afterwards we returned to a bit if teaching and learning, until he then saw my laser on the table.  She then spent ten minutes playing with it as we learned words for the items it projected on the ceiling!  It had never really occurred to me to used the laser in this way, but now I have a new teaching aid!  I am certainly bringing that to the park next time I go!
Stars/xīngchén/

Mushroom/mógu/
bird/niǎo/鸟
Apple/píngguǒ苹果
Bear/xióng/熊
Fish/yú/鱼
At the end of it all we had both had a really fun time and are both looking forward to another meeting.  I am left wondering, was she brave to come alone to my apartment? Stupid?  I don't know....but there is this implicit trust between between the younger and older generation and no suspicion...Although she is twenty some, safeguarding just isn't on the radar here!  In some ways that is wonderful, in other ways it worries me.  It is not that she is in danger from me here!  She has even invited me to meet the family during the winter break!  I see another adventure ahead!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Corona Virus Diary - Evolving page - Each consecutive day will be placed ABOVE the previous day's entry...but I might add to the bottom of each day's entry during the day!

The longest strangest day ever!

Two trips to the hospital