The Journey home - part 2 - a day in Guiyang

Well last night at about midnight , I got a call from the person I was supposed to be meeting telling me that maybe she would probably not be able to meet me.  It was her birthday and she was out celebrating.  She had realised that it was going to be a much longer night than expected and might not be around today!  At least she warned me!  I had not come here especially to see her but just as an incidental as I had to stop here overnight due to my home journey.  I knew she would be out drinking and had booked an extra night in the hope of seeing her.  However it looks like I probably won't see her. Maybe I'll go back to Tighten a day early!  Let's see what the day brings!
So I went down.  Task one was to find a way across the eight lane dual carriageway.  There were excellent subways but they weRe being repaired.  No alternativebI could see, however at certain places near the subway there were well paths across gaps in the central reservation.  Fortunately there was not much traffic and that's the way I went.  I wandered around the local area getting my bearings for the station tomorrow, and ate some breakfast: Jiaozi and a boiled egg.  The station is quite, provided you are healthy, because the subway stairs were worthy of The Krypton Factor!
....and the way up looked just as daunting!  Fortunately for me we were in the city and the steps were quite long from front to back.  In more ruralmlocatiins the steps are made for people with smaller feet and I end up with my center of gravity over the edge of the step on the way down!
I found the way to the station, you couldn't avoid it, barred fences on both sides!
The station is huge, and very well cordoned off.  The far right hand side is the ticket pick up and drop off area.  One way in, one way out.  This video, hosted offside might five you an idea.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AnTXs8bPCbfPraZeizsPrI2GZWfMRg

The turnstiles seem not to be in use and below is the regular entrance and exit:
At the front of the station there were the usual security gutters but Thu is the first assumed police officer I have seen.
I tried to find my bearings in and around the station, but many of the signs just led you away from where you wanted to go, and back again! I liked this sign:
Tourist Distribution Centre.  Strangely it was very well hidden away...I only came across I by chance!  I checked online for my tickets.  They were not e-tickets, so I had to go to the ticket office and pick them up.  Wth that done, I headed back to the hotel.  I stopped for lunch at a sheep noodles restaurant, then bought a few supplies and back to the hotel.  I had explored enough!
Back at the hotel in the evening, my first friend failed to contact me, however I learned that a friend and her boyfriend were on their way to holiday in Sanya: the Hawaii of China.  They were soon arriving in Guiyang, and invited me for dinner.  I would have lived to have met them, but frankly I had had enough and had settled for an early night.  I felt really bad about it, but I had to refuse them.  I had given in for the day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Corona Virus Diary - Evolving page - Each consecutive day will be placed ABOVE the previous day's entry...but I might add to the bottom of each day's entry during the day!

Two trips to the hospital

The longest strangest day ever!