The strange warming table....an electric tea table

In my office at work there is a table; a big heavy quilted cloth covered table, with a heated plate in the center.  It is only recently that I have discovered that it is a heated table.
In my last post I talked about the table in the undertaker's.  Underneath was a bucket of lit charcoal.  Over the table was a thick cloth.  Everyone sits around the table with their legs under the table.  The newer versions plug in.  My best guess is that the whole idea originated from having a sort of  oven around which people sat.  This then developed into a table around an oven and from there went high-tech!  The surface of the table heats up and there is a small inward facing heater in each of the legs.  There is also a special warming plate in the center of the table to keep your tea warm.A very strange contraption , and personally I'd prefer an upper-body warmer; my legs rarely get cold.  However, this is China!  From the external point of view, they look like this.  A small stocky quilt covered table.
My legs under an electric tea table


A 'naked' electric tea-table.
To me they look incredibly dangerous and a major fire hazzard, not to mention an excellent opportunity to burn oneself, that is why I have never played with the one in the office!  Sherika is very interested in it, but she has a habit of breaking anything electric so  I have persuaded her to leave it alone.  We use the air conditioner to heart the room.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Corona Virus Diary - Evolving page - Each consecutive day will be placed ABOVE the previous day's entry...but I might add to the bottom of each day's entry during the day!

Two trips to the hospital

The longest strangest day ever!