Well I just went out to dinner....and ended up eating some rat!

Well I decided it was time to eat, so I got changed and went downstairs.  Just ad I reached the path that lead to the road, a big brown BMW pulled up.  I thought they were lost...And I certainly couldn't help them there!  However someone wound down the window and called my name.  It was woodshopman!  Had I eaten?  No.  Get in....Possibly the start of an interesting evening.
We cruised a while and eventually found a hot pot restaurant.  We went upstairs to a room and sat down.  We were given the usual tick box paper menu and items were ordered.  We sat around and waited, it looked like some others were due to arrive.
sitting around waiting

checking the tick box menu

further checking of the tick box menu
When the menus had been ticked, the tea and bowls came and so did the tea!  We drank and waited.  eventually others came too.  Eventually there were six of us.  The dishes arrived.  Much to my
four out of the six and some of the hot pot dishes.
dismay the dishes were the ones I am not keen on.  There was the usual stomach lining, very popular, and meat like stuff, but the bowl on the right of the picture was full of 'bits'.  veins and grisly bits.

the bowl of bits
there was also vegetables in bitter sauce and pink pickled 'cabbage.' I've kind of got used to the pickled cabbage, but some of the bitter sauces are hard to swallow! Some of the bits from the bits bowl did not taste too bad after being boiled in the sauce, but they were still very chewy!  Halfway through the meal the guy in blue above produced a bag.  It had cooked duck in it.  He shared it around and placed a small bag by the side of his plate. I thought it was just a spicy sauce.  Well we all ate and drank.  I refused the spirit and cigarettes as usual, didn't stop them asking though!  Eventually we got to the moment when the little bag was opened.  It was a well spiced rat!  Yes a real (dead) rat! 

rat head
No one seemed interested.  It was [laced on the plate near woodshopman.  He broke of a piece of jaw and handed it to me. 


rats jaw with a duck leg beneath ( sounds like something out of Royston Vesey!)



Well I just had to try it!  I would have regretted it if I hadn't!  I ate a bit.  It was spicy.  Didn't taste too bad actually!
I went back home thorugh the park.  It was quiet empty tonight for some reason!  But as I was walking thourhg the park I hear "Laowei"  (foreigner)  Iturned around and there was one of the usuals.  |We met a few others and had a chat, after which I went home.
me and a few of the kids from school

three freinds in the park

jen jen



freind and Jen Jen

freind and Jen Jen

friend

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Corona Virus Diary - Evolving page - Each consecutive day will be placed ABOVE the previous day's entry...but I might add to the bottom of each day's entry during the day!

The longest strangest day ever!

Two trips to the hospital