Mutton powder, singsong in my flat, and a surprise picnic in the park

I had a bad night last night.  I won't say any more, so I slept late.....until 8.30! It was then I got a text from Sherrie asking be if I had had breakfast.  Nope, hadn't even washed and shaved!  Meet me in the park at 9.15.  we will go and eat mutton powder.  I was intrigued.  What was mutton powder?  I asked for 9.45 and we agreed to meet.  It was mid autumn festival so mist people were off work.  We met in the park and went to the mutton powder shop. It was a new shop.  It sold noodles and lamb.  Powder turned out to be a mistranslation.  Fen is flour, it translates literally as powder, so mi (rice) and fen (flour) is mifen which is rice flour.  It is shortened to just 'fen', so yangrou (lamb/mutton) and fen, is yangroufen which translates literally is lamb/mutton powder!  Mystery solved.  Try reading it again if you are stillpuzzled. We each had a bowl.  Sorry no pictures.  We ate and drank , then finished.  After a short discussion, we went to a bank.  Sherrie had heard that if she opened a bank account that day, she would get a free bottle of baijiu.  She filled in all the necessary forms and hopefully she will get the baijiu soon.   Next stop was her brother's milk tea shop.  I had a drink and they played with her nephew.



The lad was two years old very boisterous.  Eventually they had all had enough and she called her dad to babysit.  The little boy was so pleased to see him. 
Sherrie, star and her nephew.
We then took a taxi to my house where we played a little music and sang a few songs.  In between times the wifi repairman came and fixed the wifi, and they taught me a little Chinese.  

Eventually they went.  I lay back and relaxed a little and decide that it was time to go out, eat and play in the park.  So off I went.  On the way I checked for parcels that should have been delivered.  They had not.  When I got to the park it was starting to get dark.  I noticed a crowd...there was another foreigner playing with kids!  I watched a while the went for the foreigner selfie!  He was from Spain and working in Tongren.  Didn't ask his name, he was 'the foreigner'.   Then some of the crowd wanted pictures of me and him so we had a ten minute photo session.  I hung around the park a while but it was quiet.  On my way back through the park I saw a group sitting around the light of a mobile phone.  They asked me to join them, so I did, and they fed me and gave me some drink.



At about quarter past ten they started to pack up, and I headed home.  On the way home I bought a different flavour bean lolly ice and saw a strange rickshaw sort of thing.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Corona Virus Diary - Evolving page - Each consecutive day will be placed ABOVE the previous day's entry...but I might add to the bottom of each day's entry during the day!

Two trips to the hospital

The longest strangest day ever!