Another night out with Wendy, Anthony and Taylor.



Yet another surprise message from Wendy asking me out to dinner!  Me, Wendy and her friends seem to get on well, and get on well enjoy each others' company, after all I am the foreigner and even Tongren does not have a lot of those!  But also she is doing a little bit of 'guanxi' building.  'Guanxi' literally means 'realtionship' and it's how a lot of things 'get done' in China, because who you are connected with or who you know is often more important than what you know.  So if you know a local government official and there is some local government business to be done, then the chances are that the local government business will go more smoothly and bypass any obstacles because your friend can ensure this.  As for me and Wendy, I am a native English speaker, a rare commodity in Tongren, made even more rare by the fact that I am actually English.  So if I am associated with her school this looks good for her and helps her promote her business.  Also I am a mine of information and an experienced teacher.  A big asset for her school...oh, and we are also good friends by the way!  Anyway, back to the evening out!
Initially when Wendy picked me up from Guiyang airport and took me for my medical etc.  I had no idea that there was a boyfriend around, and as I mentioned in a previous post, when he appeared on the scene it felt a little awkward.  So the previous night when she asked for help with her school, I mentioned that if I was spending a lot of time with her on her own preparing stuff for her school, then I wanted to be sure that this did not bother her boyfriend.  She assured me that he was not bothered and that the argument that they had had last time I was there was nothing to do with me.  Not that I see myself as any sort of competition to him, after all I am twice her age, but after the last awkward meeting I just wanted to clear the air!  Anyhow this evening Wendy and her boyfriend and Taylor arrived and we ate barbecue.  I was pleased to see Anthony as it made me feel more comfortable with Wendy!  I am not so sure he was as pleased to see me, but he seems quite a quiet guy.  The evening went well and Wendy and Taylor asked me many questions.  I worked out what they wanted and told them tha when I return to Jiangkou, I would put together some ideas.hey also wanted me to do some teacing in the school, but first things first, I needed to put together samples of what they could use to teach.  I also need to learn more baout her school as it is primary/junior and I am used to senior.   I also have to check whether I am legally allowed to work there and whether my boss at my own school would allow me top do so.  I am quite happy to help with materials and ideas, but there need to be quite a bit of investigation done before I start to actually teach there, even part-time or ocassionally.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Corona Virus Diary - Evolving page - Each consecutive day will be placed ABOVE the previous day's entry...but I might add to the bottom of each day's entry during the day!

Two trips to the hospital

The longest strangest day ever!