The 'Undertaker' part 2

Well today on the way home about 11am I decided to take a short video to show you what the block of shops opposite really looks like.  So I started to shoot the last block working back towards my house.  You can see the results in yesterday's post.  I got about half way along, and there was the 'undertakers'.  They shouted " Hello" and beckoned me in.  The old guy got up and offered me his seat.  I felt a bit awkward taking it as he was even older than me!  But I took it.  Straight away I was offered something to drink, which turned out to be green tea, everyone drinks it here, no one drinks black tea (or red tea as they call it here!), and a cigarette.    This was quite a nice brew.  Anyway we got talking in a mix of English, Chinglish, Chinese and Google translate.  It was really fun.  Smething I had wanted to happen...and now it did!  I love exploring the places I am at and don't really feel the need to go to the 'tourist places'.
there were just a few to start with, but it seems the WeChat spread the news of the foreigner and gradually more arrived.

later a few more turned up and joined the laughter as we treid to make conversation!  Then came the big question "Have you eaten?"  Eeerm "No, not yet" and the guy on the right says something to his wife, the lady in pink and she goes to the back of the "shop".  The guy on teh left then grabs my phone and uses the translation app.  "She's gone to make you noodles, do you like spicy?"  I told him I prefer not spicy and he shouts something to the back of the shop.  Out pops 'the wife' with a bowl of rice noodles with two fried eggs on top!  Amazing.
They all watched closely 'Can the foreigner use chopsticks?'  I could and this caused a few laughs as the guy on the right had bet the guy on the left, who I think is the undertaker, that I couldn't!  Anyhow I chomped away at my food, some of the nicest Chinese food I have had since I have been here.  Excellent!  Eventually I took my leave and headed home.  For me that was better than a trip to Fanjing mountain!  Loved it!  I have to go that way later today and I'll drop them in a few of my posh Beijing cakes.  As with most conversations in China, they were keen to know my wages.  I am not sure what wages are here in China and just managed to avoid answering as I think I get a really good wage for this area and dont want to disclose as Id guess all of the people in this house combined earn less than me, and that would embarrass me and perhaps them.  That's one I need to check out!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Corona Virus Diary - Evolving page - Each consecutive day will be placed ABOVE the previous day's entry...but I might add to the bottom of each day's entry during the day!

The longest strangest day ever!

Two trips to the hospital