Zhongshan - Day 5

Today I just wanted a day of local wandering.  I had arranged to meet Julie if she was free, but neither of us had the intention of an early start!  As usual, the day started with a big breakfast!   Then Julie sent me a text.  She suggested we go to a 'village' near the centre of Zhongshan.  We took a disk and headed off.  It was not possible to get a lift all the way, so we were dropped off nearby and walked in on foot.  When we arrived there was a fundraising event for the local kindergarten taking place in the small square.  It was just like any other fair in the UK.  
We wandered around it and then headed off to the village.  It was more of an old quarter that had been selected by the yuppies to be cool.  There were designed restaurants here and there mixed in amongst some old buildings.  As usual, I looked for the unusual.  Icons an art gallery and got invited in.  It was having it was having its opening ceremony later  today.  The gallery was owned by this guy

Who was the teacher of this guys son.
Both of them presented me with a book.
The second guy presented me with a book of his sons  artwork.  The first guy presented me with a book of his own artwork.  The guy in the first picture had taught the guy in the second pictures son to paint.  His son is only 15yrs old.  Here is a picture of the son's book and one of the pictures.

Pretty impressive stuff!  We wandered off and I started to notice shrines again.  According to the Chinese, these were for the gods under the ground.  I know next to nothing about these. Must research them.whem I get a chance.
Behind the big village tree I found this shrine, again it seems it is to the gods under the ground.  I'm fascinated now...More research needed.

After wandering little more we bumped into panda carrying a cake. (No photo) (Truth is it is a cake delivery service where the delivered dresses up as a panda and delivers the cake and sings a song.  Julie took his details as she wanted him to performnat her birthday! Horses for courses!  But I have to admit, without his panda head he looked one unhappy guy!
Julie asked me what I wanted for lunch.  I had seen Pizza Hut  the previous day and realised I had not eaten pizza or cheese for seven months.  The answer was easy.  Pizza!  So we headed off there on the bus.  I ordered a big pizza and calamaris and we shared, not necessarily equally...But Julie is only small and I was paying!  I enjoyed it so much I forgot to take a before picture!

...But then you all know what it looks and tastes like.  It is me that has nearly forgotten!  And pizza Hut was celebrating the Spring Festival!  How interesting!  Then Julie introduced me to the local Chinese pizza!  Yikes!  Too much, but my first Chinese pizza tasted pretty good...So it is possible, just not in Jiangkou!  This is the couple who run the shop!  Lovely people!
So, I said "Goodnight!" To Julie, and arranged to meet tomorrow morning in order to get me a taxi to the station for part one of my journey home.  The journey to Guiyang, where I have booked a hotel for two nights and hope to meet with a friend on Monday.  She was one of the teachers on the Tongren Summer school last Summer....But Sunday is her birthday and she is out celebrating with friends and may not wake up until late Monday!  We shall see!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Corona Virus Diary - Evolving page - Each consecutive day will be placed ABOVE the previous day's entry...but I might add to the bottom of each day's entry during the day!

Two trips to the hospital

The longest strangest day ever!