New Year's Day with Sherrie and Star and a fun with Freya and friends.

It was New Years Day.  I had been up late, and was still in bed at 9.00 a.m.  I was spending a little time in bd sorting out the New Year's Messages from various people.  Just after Nine I got a message from Sherrie inviting me to eat lunch with her and her husband at her home!  I jumped at the chance!  Slightly later came a text asking if I minded if her niece was also there.  She is a senior three student at my school.  That was fine by me!  So I got ready and headed off.  I also had a few boxes of chocolates for my friends in the shops nearby to celebrate the new year.  I delivered these on the way, and picked up some peanut milk and crisps to add to the food already there. I knew Sherrie's flat was somewhere near the block below so when I arrived there I gave her a call and she came down to meet me.  Her flat was on the eighth floor.

One of the blocks of flats in Sherrie's community
The view from the Sherrie and Star's flat window (above).  I am always fascinated in the views from flats, especially in China.  And below a view of the main room of her flat.

I came into her flat, ...it seemed colder than outside, and everyone inside was wearing a coat.  Ity was cold.  Very cold. I took off and also took my shoes off.  I had brought a pair of hotel slippers with me because no one ever has inside shoes that fit me.  Sherrie ushered me in to the main room and to the heated table...bliss!  It was there that  I met her niece.  As I sat down Sherrie told me that her husband was making lunch and placed some water chestnuts and cherries on the table!  nice!  A littlewhile later came some aperitif: pork in batter.   Lovely!
Water chestnuts and cherries
A strangely blurred photograph of Sherrie and her niece.
I sat and chatted with Sherrie's niece while Sherrie helped her husband Star with the cooking.  I also watched a bit of Tom and Jerry on the TV, shared some videos, and attempted to teach her niece some simple ukulele chords.  In return, after seeing this on a video her niece taught me how to make on eof these!  A new party piece!

Star Sherrie and me.
Me and Sherrie's niece attempting to do stuff with the ukulele
the food was arriving at the table.
Star hurriedly preparing food.
More food

A full table complete with Star, Sherrie, her niece and me
We finished the meal and retired to the main lounge, where we watched some Chinese New Year show, which was no dissimilar to the German ones with a few of the oldies wheeled out to celebrate.  We then chatted a lot about many things and Sherrie talked about her inspiring English teacher at University ans showed me a book he had written.  It was a book of meaningful stories.  Lots and lots of them, and they were quite good too!  In between times, Freya had texted me asking where I was an asking if I was coming out to play.  I couldn't because I was with friends.  However it was eventually time to go.  I said goodbye to all and went downstairs with them.  Sherrie and Star rode off on their scooter and I sent a text to Freya.  She was nearby and asked me to join her.  I followed the GPS directions on my phone and eventually bumped into her.  She was with some friends and two students at a computer repair shop.  This belwo is them!
I was ushered to the warming table and sat down opposite the two small girls.  They had some unusual computer device and were listening to music.  They were quite surprised to see a foreigner!

Fairly soon both them and Freya were acting out various children's' sing-a-long songs.  I joined in at times and then taught them all Heads, shoulders, knees and toes.  They loved it and so did I.  It was then time for my usual party tricks and handing out of balloons.  I swapped WeChats with the guy who owned the shop and he immediately texted me.  He thought my coat was a treasure chest!  It has a few pockets and I fill them with unusual and useful things!

Freya and the girls acting oout an equivalent of heads, shoulders, knees and toes


A few more shenanigans

after a while it was time to go and Frey a asked what I wanted to do.  I said I would come with her whilst she brought the children home and may be share dinner with her later.  Little did I realise that there was still more in store.  The owner gave us a lift into town and dropped us off.

When we got out of the car I realised that we were near one of my favourite Western restaurants 'Wallace' and was hoping to eat there, but that did not happen.  The kids ran off and Freya dn I followed them.  They went home, and I was invited in.

No one had been warned that I was coming, but everyone accepted me as if they knew who I was, sat me down at the warming table and started to put food on the table.

People left to right:Grandma, son and mum.  Food left to right: red stuff (no idea but had eaten  it often)  It is sort of a bready texture but a meaty taste. Mixed vegetables and meat, egg and chilles and a big bowl of green Chinese lettuce..  There were also a few other dishes out of shot, one of which was the Chinese equivalent of German bacon.
It was the usual fare.  A mixture of meat, tofu and vegetables.  I got a bowl of rice and was told to start eating.  I did.  It was some of the best food I had eaten in Jiangkou this year (joke) but actually it was very tasty!  I ate food talked a little and then it was all over.  The table was cleared and Freya and the father had a good conversation.  I did not understand it all but I understood a lot, and body language told the rest of the story! Everyone came to eat in sittings.  As soon as one left another came!  The food was excellent!
son and mum
Freya and dad
Freya and dad after the meal chatting.
Eventually it was time to go and We headed out.  I had forgotten exactly where we were and had to ask to be orientated!  I headed home.  I was tired.  I think I have full recovered after having my appendix out, but I think it took more out of me than I realised.  I could have just sat down and gone to sleep before I reached my house.  I didn't.  It was cold, probably around 0 degrees!  Eventually I did get home.  Excellent.  Another unexpected adventure!  Keep them coming!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Corona Virus Diary - Evolving page - Each consecutive day will be placed ABOVE the previous day's entry...but I might add to the bottom of each day's entry during the day!

Two trips to the hospital

The longest strangest day ever!