They just make it up!

They just make it up, and not very well either.
Just back from a call with D.  She had been talking to J, the guy who offered the contract for Job 1 in T.  I read the contract and it appeared pretty generic, and not necessarily applying to this job. 
Documents
The conversation started with a discussion where D said that I must hurry to accept because my legalised documents will 'run out'.  This sounds like nonsense, so I said I will check with my solicitor and the Chinese embassy.  I was told not to do that because they don't know what they are talking about.  Mmm .
Contract term
Orally we agreed on 12 months.  The contract is for 11 months.  My answer was no school pays for a 12 month contract.  They do.  I've seen them.
Flights
Flights are only reimbursed on a greater than 12 month contract.  This means I get no flights, right?  "Ah no" came the reply, "the eleven month contract means a year".  "Okay ".  I said " but the contract says no flights unless I sign for more than 12 months, which means I don't get flights?".  D promised to check this one out.
It may be a problem with Chinese /English, but my experience with Chinese so far is they give an answer, excuse but don't think it through.  The answers, excuses are like those of a three year old who denies eating the chocolate whilst having chocolate smeared around their mouth.  Maybe if I knew Chinese etiquette, I would be obliged to ignore the 'chocolatey mouth'....It's just hard to ignore what in England would be called b******t. 
Another example
The contract says the flights are to city B.  I asked would it not be easier to fly to city T direct?  "Ah no" came the reply "you need to go to city B for the medical documents".  However further down the contract it says that the medical documents are done in city T!

Popular posts from this blog

Corona Virus Diary - Evolving page - Each consecutive day will be placed ABOVE the previous day's entry...but I might add to the bottom of each day's entry during the day!

Two trips to the hospital

The longest strangest day ever!